You are here: Home Study Programs FAQs Application for Master's …

FAQs Application for Master's degree programs

Online Application

When is the online application portal available?
If you want to apply for the summer semester, the online application portal will open from mid October. If you want to apply for the winter semester, you can do so from mid March. However, even during these time periods, the portal will never be available between 3:00 and 6:00 a.m. Central European time.
How does the online application portal work?
Like for every other web portal, you will first need to register to get a user account. After that, you will receive an email with your user name and a link on which to click. After clicking on the link, you will be able to log in with the user name you received by email and the password you chose during the registration. Then you are ready to fill out the online application.
The program I want to apply for does not appear in the drop down menu. What shall I do?
Some of our programs only have one intake per year, in the winter semester. In that case, they are not listed in the drop down menu if you are applying during the application period for the summer semester.
How do I convert my grade into the German grading system in order to enter it under “current status of your university studies”?
If you don’t know your German grade, just enter 0. The coordinator will convert your grade after having received your application documents.

Please note: The following set of questions does not have to be answered if you are applying to one of the Master programs offered by  the Faculty of Engineering:
“Studies not completed yet:
- Confirmation regarding the registration of the thesis (if not specified in the transcript of records)
- Confirmation regarding the obtained ECTS credits (if applicable and not specified in the transcript of records)
- Evidence of the current average grade (if applicable and not specified in the transcript of records)”

What happens if I say yes to the question whether I would like to have my data checked in advance?
If you choose this option, it means that the program coordinator will have a look at the information that you have entered. If it is obvious that you do not fulfill the admission requirements, the coordinator will let you know via the online application portal and you will save the money that you would have invested in certifying copies and paying the courier service. If you are eligible, the coordinator will also inform you of that via the online system. After that, you can finalize the online application, print the PDF of the application form and send it to us along with the hard copies of the required documents. Please note: A positive pre-assessment by the coordinator does not mean that you will definitely be admitted. It just means that you fulfill the basic requirements. The final decision will be taken by the admissions committee after you have sent the hard copies of your application documents.

I cannot print my application. Why?
There are mainly two reasons for not being able to print the application:

I) You haven't “submitted” (meaning finalized) the online application. After filling out all the fields of the online application, you will get to a page that provides an overview of the information that you have entered. You need to scroll down to the very bottom of this page and check the box next to the word "submit".  Following this step, you will be directed to a page where you can find a PDF document containing your application. This is the document you have to print,sign, and send with the hard copies of your certificates.
II) You opted for a pre-check of your data it might be that this pre-check has not yet been carried out by the coordinator. In this case, you should wait 2 work days. Once the coordinator has checked your data, you will be able to submit your application (see 'I' above) and print it. If the pre-check has not been completed after 2 work days, please write an email to

Application documents

What is a certified copy?
An official certification can be provided by any public body or government agency that has an official seal or stamp. In Germany, that can be registration offices (Bürgerbüros) or the local registration offices of the State Residents’ Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt). German notaries are, of course, also authorized to perform certifications. If you are still abroad, you can have your documents certified by a German embassy or consulate. The institution (college or university) that originally issued the record in question can also certify a copy of that record as well as sworn translators.

Certifications issued by attorneys, certified auditors, associations, health insurance companies, as well as the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit), the Church, from DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) or from AStA (Allgemeiner Studierenden Ausschuss) are not recognized.

Every official certification must include at least
1. the certification notice (this is a notice stating that the copy is in accordance with the original),
2. the signature of the party certifying the document, and
3. the official seal or stamp. (An official seal or stamp generally includes an emblem. A simple inked text
stamp is not sufficient.)

If the copy consists of several pages, proof must be provided showing that each page comes from the same document. It is sufficient if only one page bears the certification notice and signature as long as all pages are stacked up, stapled together, and stamped or sealed in such
a way that part of the official seal or stamp appears on each page. You are also welcome to have every page certified separately, but if you do so, please ensure that your name appears on every page of the original.

Photocopies of officially certified copies will not be accepted.

Which English certificates are accepted?
We accept:

  • IELTS (Academic)
  • TOEFL (pbT, ibT and cbT)
  • Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English
  • Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English
  • Pearson PTE Academic


How do I submit my TOEFL or IELTS score?
Please ask the institution issuing the TOEFL test to report your results directly to us. Our ETS institutional code is 7125. As for IELTS, please ask for the documents to be sent to the following address:

University of Freiburg
Faculty of Engineering
Georges-Koehler-Allee 101
Admissions Office
79110 Freiburg


Do you accept outdated TOEFL or IELTS scores?

No, sorry, we do not accept any TOEFL or IELTS scores that are older than two years.
The language of instruction in my education was English. Do I need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score?
Yes, you do. Only native speakers from the USA, UK, Australia, New Zealand or Canada, or students who have obtained their bachelor’s degree in one of these countries can be exempted.

Is a GRE mandatory?
No, it is not. But first it increases your chances for being admitted into the program and second it helps us compare students coming from many different educational backgrounds. The GRE is especially recommended if your CGPA is lower than 3.0 or if your final grade is lower than 80%.

Which grade do I have to reach in the GRE?
Your grade is good, if you obtain a higher result than 50% of the test-takers in all three sections (verbal, quantitative, analytical).

I don’t have a bachelor’s degree yet. Can I apply?
Yes. Just send us a preliminary transcript of records showing all the courses you have taken so far and the marks you have obtained. If possible, the current CGPA or average grade should be stated in the transcript. Your bachelor’s degree diploma will only be needed upon your enrollment at the University of Freiburg.
Why do I need to send my documents by regular mail (not e-mail)?
Original versions or certified copies of all official documents (university certificates and degrees, language scores) are necessary for us to be able to verify the authenticity of the documents.

To which address shall I send my application documents?
You will find the address on the printout of the online application form.

How do I find out if my documents have been received?
Once the envelope with your documents has been received and unpacked, we will scan the barcode which is printed on the application form. Once the barcode is scanned, you will automatically receive an email stating that your application status has changed. If you log into the application portal, you will then see that it says "documents received".
Do I need to send a proof of how I intend to finance my studies?
No. But, if you have a nationality that requires a student visa, you will have to submit this proof to the German embassy or consulate when applying for the visa.


I have a 3-year bachelor’s degree from a non-European destination. Am I eligible?
Unfortunately, in most cases a 3-year bachelor’s degree does not qualify you for admission to a master’s degree program in Germany. To be eligible, you must hold a 4-year bachelor’s degree. You can apply if you have a 3-year degree AND either a postgraduate diploma or master’s degree (1 year). When in doubt as to whether your bachelor’s degree is sufficient for admission to one of our master’s programs, just send a soft copy of your transcript of marks to or (only for Sustainable Systems Engineering).

Admission procedure

Do you have a rolling admission?
No. The admissions committee only meets twice every semester. The first meeting usually takes place 2-3 weeks after the application deadline has expired.
When will I be informed about the result of my application?
You will be notified by e-mail within a week after the meeting of the admissions committee. The admissions committee usually meets 2-3 weeks after the application deadline.
When will I receive the letter of admission?
The admission letters will be issued by the University’s International Admissions and Services Office (IAS). First, you will receive a soft copy of the admission letter (approx. 3 weeks after the meeting of the admissions committee). After that we will dispatch a hard copy. Please note: The hard copy will be sent by regular mail (international airmail). Depending on the destination, delivery may take up to 3-4 weeks.

Cost and financial aid

How much does it cost to attend the program?
The University of Freiburg charges an administrative fee of € 155 each semester. In addition to that, non-EU nationals have to pay a tuition fee of € 1500 per semester.

Can I get a tuition fee waiver?
There are a few exceptions. For more information click here.
What is the cost of living in Freiburg?
The cost of living in Freiburg is approximately € 700 - 800 each month. This includes rent, food, phone, health insurance, transportation, clothing, and books.
Do you offer scholarships?
The Faculty of Engineering offers merit-based partial scholarships of € 2400 each year to the best 5 applicants. The University of Freiburg offers merit-based partial scholarships of € 3600. More.

Where can I get a full scholarship?
If you need a full scholarship, we recommend that you apply for a DAAD scholarship: (unfortunately this scholarship is not available for all nationalities).

Can I work during my studies?
Every student, no matter what nationality, may work up to 85 hours per month. Non-EU nationals who have a student visa, have to observe an additional limit: They are not allowed to work more than 120 days per year full-time or 240 days part-time.


Specific questions pertaining to the Master's degree program in Computer Science

What is the language of instruction?
Although some subjects are taught in German, it is perfectly possible to study the whole MSc. Computer Science program in English. Almost all specialization courses are held in English. 5 out of 6 key courses (Master students have to take at least one key course) will be held in English or alternately in English and German. The only key course which will always be held in German is "Databases".

What is the required TOEFL or IELTS score?
The minimum required scores are:
Internet-based TOEFL: 95
IELTS: 7.0

Do I need to know German?
German proficiency is not a prerequisite for this program. However, we strongly recommend that you have a basic knowledge of the German language before coming to Germany since you will need to speak German in order to communicate outside of the University.


Specific questions pertaining to the Master's degree program in Embedded Systems Engineering

What is the language of instruction?
Although some subjects are taught in German, it is perfectly possible to study the whole MSc. Embedded Sysems Engineering program in English.

What is the required TOEFL or IELTS score?
The minimum scores required for admission to the Master’s in Embedded Systems Engineering program are:
Internet-based TOEFL: 95
IELTS: 7.0


Specific questions pertaining to the Master's degree programs in Mikrosystemtechnik/Microsystems Engineering

Who should I ask for a recommendation letter?
A recommendation letter should be issued by a university professor who knows you from your undergraduate studies and who is able to evaluate your academic potential. Recommendation letters written by employers are therefore not helpful.

How do I submit the recommendation letter?
If possible, the referee should use the form provided by us. After filling it out, the referee has to sign AND stamp the form and put it in a sealed envelope.
If the referee does not use the recommendation letter form provided by us, the letter should be written on the letterhead of the college or university in which the professor is employed. The letter must be signed and stamped by the referee and submitted to you in a sealed envelope. If the referee only gives you one recommendation letter that bears his signature, you may submit a notarized copy of this letter.

What is a Statement of Intent?
A Statement of Intent (also called a Statement of Purpose or Letter of Motivation) is a statement written by an applicant explaining his/her motivation for wanting to study the program he/she is applying for. In the statement you are NOT supposed to write down the whole story of your study career. Instead you should try to answer the following questions: Why do I want to study at IMTEK? Why do I want to study Microsystems Engineering? What do I like about the curriculum? What are my expectations? What are my career goals? To do this, it might be helpful to have a look at our web pages. The Statement of Intent is usually one to two pages long.

Do I need to know German?
German proficiency is not a prerequisite for the English Master of Science in Microsystems Engineering because the language of instruction is English. However, we strongly recommend that you have a basic knowledge of the German language before coming to Germany since you will need to speak German in order to communicate outside of the University.